The new media player app gets some changes with the new Windows 11. Well, this is the new app that replaces the group music app, and it is a basic player with support for audio and video playback.
The app is available for all devices enrolled in the channel, but Microsoft is not yet sure whether the Windows Media Player is ready for the users or not as for some users, the Windows Media Player is not working on their Windows 10/11 PC.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to fix this problem. Let’s see what they are in this guide as here we have explained all the necessary workarounds to resolve the media player not working issue.
Steps to Fix Windows Media Player Not Working Issue in Windows 10 / 11
Windows Media Player comes included as an optional feature with Windows 11, but very useful, in my opinion. Meanwhile, this kind of error really broke my heart as most of the users like me use the Windows Media Player as the default media player on Windows 11 PC.
Fix 1: Use Windows Troubleshooter
You can use the Windows 11/10 troubleshooter to fix the Windows Media Player not working or opening issue. So, let’s have a look at the guidelines:
- Initially, tap on the Search box and search for Control Panel. Then, open it.
- Then, tap on the View by Large icons and select the Troubleshooting option.
- Now, select the View all option from the left side of the window.
- Next, locate the Windows Media Player Library and click on it.
- Then, hit the Next button to initiate the process and wait until the process gets completed.
- Now, if any issues are detected by your system, you can get two options, i.e., Apply This Fix and Skip This Fix; you need to hit the Apply This Fix option to resolve the error.
Fix 2: Use Windows Services
Did you know this method? Well, if not, then let me clarify that you can use the Windows Services feature in order to resolve the not working issue of your media player on Windows 11 or 10 PC:
- Firstly, tap on the Windows search bar and search for the Services. Then, open it.
- After that, locate the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Services under the Name section.
- Now, tap on the General tab and hover to the Startup.
- Then, click on the Automatic button and hit the Apply followed by Ok.
- That’s it. Now, hit the Start button in order to start the Service.
Fix 3: Use Codec Pack
There might be chances that your Windows Media Player Codec may get damaged due to which you are facing this issue. Therefore, you have to reinstall the codec pack on your Windows PC to resolve the issue. So, let’s see how!
- Initially, launch any browser on your PC and search for a media player codec pack or simply click on the link.
- Then, download it from the website, and once downloaded, double-click on the Setup file in order to install the media player codec pack.
Fix 4: Use The Features Option To Fix The Issue
Still, no luck? Well, don’t worry, you can try out the given steps in order to fix the Windows Media Player, not opening or working issue.
- Firstly, launch the Control Panel and tap on the View by then selecting the Category.
- Thereafter, tap on the Programs and click on the Programs and Features.
- Then, tap on the Turn Windows features on or off link.
- Now, hit the Plus button located in front of the Media Features to expand it.
- After that, uncheck the box beside the Windows Media Player and hit the Yes button.
- That’s it. Now, reboot your device and again perform the above steps to reenable it by checking the box next to Windows Media Player.
Also Read: Fix: Windows Defender Keeps Crashing in Windows 11
So, that’s all on how to fix the Windows Media Player is not working on their Windows 10/11 PC. We hope that this guide has helped you. But, in case you still encounter the same error, try reinstalling the Windows Media Player and check again. Moreover, if you want more info, comment below.