Time was gone when we used Antivirus software to protect our PC from malware, viruses, etc., which sometimes slowed down our PC. Now, Microsoft has already advanced their built-in Antivirus software so that users do not have to look for a third-party antivirus.
But is Windows Defender or Windows Security all you need for Windows 11 PC? Well, of course, after all, it’s the next-generation Antivirus and malware defense tool. But, unfortunately, for many users, Windows defender software makes some trouble in Windows 11.
So, yes, if you are an active member of the Mircosoft community, then most probably you’ve noticed that users are complaining that the Mircosoft Defender or Windows Security is not working after the recent patch update of Windows 11. Although there are many other websites on Google telling about the fixes to this issue, if you wish, you can perform the methods that we have discussed below to increase the chances of resolving the error.
What Are The Reasons Behind Windows Defender Not Working Issue?
Well, there are many reasons, but I think this issue occurs just because you have installed and given full access to third-party antivirus software on your PC. However, it automatically disables Windows built-in Windows Defender.
Moreover, the wrong Date and time often cause this error because generally, we can see that a wrong date and time creates a lot of issues in different situations. Anyway, now let’s take a look at the available fixes that will help you resolve this issue.
Methods To Fix Windows Defender is Not Working on Windows 11
The details that we have described below are gathered from a trusted source, and all the methods mentioned here are already tested by many users worldwide. So, you can also try them out.
#1. Update Your Windows 11
The first thing came first! Since the error occurs after the recent patch update, so you can simply check if there is any Windows 11 Patch update available or not. To do so, follow the instructions given below:
- First of all, click on the Start Menu and search for Check For Update.
- Then, on the next page, you’ll see there’s a button, i.e., Check For Update. So, hit that button and wait.
- Now, if there is any update available, it will show you and ask you to download it. So, do it and reboot your PC to check if the issue gets fixed or not.
#2. Uninstall the Thrid-Party Antivirus
We have already stated that a third-party antivirus or free antivirus software might be the reason behind why Windows Defender is not working at all on your Windows 11 PC. So, you need to uninstall it completely from your PC, and to do so, here are the steps:
- Firstly, use the Windows Search bar, search for Add or Remove Program, and open it.
- Then, a new page will open along with the list of installed applications. So, find out your Antivirus and double-click on it.
- After that, a pop-up will appear, select the Uninstall option and follow the on-screen instruction to remove it from your PC.
#3. Change Your Date And Time
Another fix that has the high potential to fix this issue. So, here are the steps that will help you alter the date and time of your PC:
- Press Win+I simultaneously to bring up the Windows Settings.
- After that, go to the Time & language section and click on the Date & time badge.
- Then, hit the Change button located in front of the Set the Date and Time Manually.
That’s it. Now, set the date and time correctly and check if the Windows defender/ Windows Security started working or not. There is the possibility that the issue will get fixed, as many users previously found this fix very helpful.
#4. Turn on The Real-Time Protection
There’s a chance that you may accidentally turn off the real-time protection of Windows Defender. That’s why you think that it stops working. So, you can check if it is turned off, and here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Use the Windows Search bar and search for Windows Security. Then, open it.
- After that, navigate to the Virus & threat protection, and on the next page, click on the Manage settings option located beneath the Virus & threat protection settings.
- Finally, locate the Real-Time Protection option on the next page and hit the toggle button to on position (if it is turned off).
#5. Change Proxy Servers
Many users reported that once they have changed their proxy settings, the Windows Defender or Windows Security not working issue automatically gets fixed. So, in case you don’t know how to change your proxy settings, you can follow the guidelines mentioned below:
- Initially, open the Command Prompt along with admin privileges.
- After that, execute the command:
NETSH WINHTTP SET PROXY 188.8.131.52:8080
#6. Try Running The SFC Scan
Did you try this before? If not, then you can try running the SFC scan to find if there is an issue with your system files due to which this issue occurs. So, here are the needy steps to follow:
- First of all, open the Command Prompt along with admin privileges.
- After that, execute the command:
- Then, you can simply reboot your Windows 11 PC and check out if the issue gets fixed or not.
#7. Use Windows PowerShell
You can use Windows Powershell to get rid of this situation. So, here is what you require to do:
- Firstly, open the Windows 11 Powershell using admin privileges.
- Then, execute the command:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage
From Author’s Desk
So, that’s all we’ve for you on how to fix if the Windows Defender is not working on your PC after the recent update. We hope this guide has helped you. But, in case you have a doubt, comment below. Also, let us know which topic you want us to bring for you.