The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Crashes on Startup? Here’s How to Fix It
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is, without question, a fantastic game. Oblivion presented us with a beautiful open world to explore, a world that has yet to be beaten today in terms of liveliness. It’s a decent game, but it’s way too hard to level up near to impossible. Yes, at first, I was also skeptical after noticing that the game randomly start crashes at startup. However, I’m probably not the only one who suffers from this or is currently suffering from this.
Luckily, after researching in different forums, I have found some fixes to this oblivion crashes at startup issue. These fixes have helped many users fix this error, including me. So, why not you try them all? Don’t worry! We collected all the information and compiled them into this single guide. So, make sure to read the guide till the end.
Fix: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Crashes on Startup Issue
This game surely brings you back to the childhood memories of the story, funny bugs, gameplay, etc. But, the thing is, these kinds of issues just ruined the whole gaming experience, and due to which it started frustrating the users and courage them to shift to any other game. But, don’t worry if you are encountering crashes issues on startup. Yes, you just follow the steps mentioned below carefully.
Fix 1: Reboot Your Device
No matter you are playing this game on PC or Console, before performing any of the below-mentioned fixes. We recommend you reboot your device once, as this will clear all the problematic temporary cache files that create issues. Well, it is not limited to that thing only as it will also give your device a fresh new start to perform in a more advanced way.
Fix 2: Run As Administrator
If rebooting the crashes at startup issue doesn’t fix, we recommend you run the game with admin rights. Also, there are many players who reported that this helped them to fix this error. So, if you want, you can try this as well.
To do so, you just need to hover over to the desktop and locate the .exe file, and right-click on it. After that, from the drop-down context menu, you need to choose the properties option. Now, from the properties window, switch to the compatibility tab. Then, checkmark the box that you’ll get in front of the Run as Administrator. Then, hit the apply button followed by OK to save the settings you have changed.
That’s it. Now, whenever you run the Obvilion on your PC, it will Run as Administrator. However, most probably, if the crashes at startup issue occur due to lack of permissions to use your PC resources, then this will surely fix the error.
Fix 3: Delete the Oblivion Folder in MyGames
This is also one of the best options that you can try. However, even Bethesda Game Studios also recommend this fix. So, if you don’t know how to delete the Oblivion folder in MyGames, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open the File Explorer and hover over to your game folder.
- Or you can simply follow the path: Local Disk < Users < Your Account’s Name < Documents < My Games < Oblivion.
- Now, select the Saved Folder and select everything inside it. Then, right-click and select the Delete button to remove everything.
- After that, simply reboot your PC and check if the issue gets resolved or not.
Fix 4: Install a Codec Pack
Here are the steps you must require to follow while installing the codec pack to get rid of the Obvilion crashes at startup issue.
- First of all, hover over to the Codec Pack downloading page.
- Then, download the pack. You can choose between Mirror 1 or Mirror 2.
- Once the file gets downloaded, simply install it on your PC as you normally install any application.
- Then, after the installation is successfully done, your job is to reboot your PC and then check if the problem gets fixed or not.
Fix 5: Changing Executable Names
Yeah! I know it is annoying and weird as the common question that you have in mind is how this could help to fix the error. Let me clarify that this method helps many users in the past to fix the crashing issue in the past. So, what goes in give it a try?
- First of all, hover over to your game’s installation directory and locate the OblivionLauncher.exe and rename it anything else.
- After that, locate the Oblivion.exe and give it the name OblivionLauncher.exe.
- That’s it. Now, once again, launch the game and check if the issue gets fixed.
Fix 6: Some Additional Fixes
- Lower down the system graphics setting.
- You can also verify the integrity of Obvilion game files.
- Also, you can try to uninstall Cyberlink Power DVD 5 from the control panel.
- Change your game installation location.
- Reinstall the game on your Windows PC.
So, these were the best fixes available that you can try to fix The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion crashes at startup issue. We hope you are now fixed the issue and enjoy your gameplay. Meanwhile, if you are still stuck on the same error and want us to help you further, let us know in the comment box.