Windows server operating systems are different from your typical desktop versions like Windows 10, and that they’re built to run enterprise-level applications. These servers can even run with a very minimal graphical interface. So they can be managed remotely.
In addition, they can typically take advantage of higher grade hardware and address more memory than what you’d get out of a standard desktop computer Windows server 2003. Today, we are here with a topic based on the Windows servers.
Recently, I’ve found many users asking about some easiest methods to reset their Windows server password without data loss. Since we have found that question answer on the internet, that’s why we bring this guide for you. So, let’s take a look at them.
How To Reset Windows Server Password Without Data Loss
So, here we have mentioned one of the best and easiest methods that you can use to reset your Windows server password without losing your data. Therefore, let’s get started with them.
Method 1: Use Password Reset Disk
We always suggest you create a disk password key whenever you create a new password because it is quite tough to remember each account’s password. So, in that case, the password reset disk will help you to unlock it easily.
Therefore, if you have forgotten your Windows server password, then follow the steps mentioned below carefully. But,m before, that you need to create a password reset key, and to do so, here are the steps:
- Plugin the USB drive on your Windows PC.
- Then, go to the Windows Search option and search for Create a password reset disk.
- Then, select the Create a password reset disk option from the left side of the screen.
- Now, select the inverted disk drive and enter your login pass. Then, hit the enter key.
- That’s it. Now, wait until it creates the bootable USB drive.
Now, it’s ready to use a password reset key on your Windows Server. So, here are the steps:
- Suppose you forget the password and already entered the wrong password; insert the USB drive on your PC and hit the Reset Password option.
- Then, simply on the next page, type of new password two times and hit the next button.
- That’s it. Now, follow the on-screen instruction to finish the Windows Server reset process.
Method 2: Use Command Prompt
Now, if you find the above methods a bit complicated or time taking, then you can try using the command prompt to reset your Windows server password. But, to use this method, you need a Windows server installation disk. So, if you have it, then follow the guidelines step by step:
- Firstly, insert the server installation disk and reboot your PC. Then, once the Windows Setup screen appears, hit the next button.
- Now, in the Choose An Option window, you need to click on the Troubleshoot > Command Prompt.
- Then, execute the following command:d: cd windows\system32ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.oldcopy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
- Now, hit the Continue button. Then, the server will boot up and show you the login screen.
- Then, you just need to press the Win+U key using your keyboard and execute the command: Administrator as a user and password as per your choice (for example, password123).
- Now, to change the admin password, hit the cross button and enter a new password.
That’s it. Now, close the Command Prompt window and use your new password login to your Windows server. Also, then, delete the Utilman.exe file from C:\Windows\System32 and rename Utilman.exe.old back to Utilman.exe before removing it.
So, that’s all we have for you on how to reset your Windows Server password without data loss. We hope you find this guide helpful. But, in case you need more information, comment below.