Fix: League of Legends FPS Drops, Lag, Shuttering, and Freezing Issue
Overall if we talk about the League of Legends, then it is a great multiplayer online battle arena video game. The mechanics are tuned, champions are consistently balanced, and developers reworked to offer a rotating meta of viable picks in various game modes. But, as of now, I can’t say there are any good things left.
Yes, you heard it right! League of Legends used to be a tactical game that primarily required careful consideration and secondarily mechanical. But now, it’s just become a game that has a lot of bugs and glitches. A few days back, many users are complaining that they won’t be able to play the game because of various issues like FPS Drops, Lag, Shuttering, and Freezing. Some of them are bombing into the forums and asking for a solution to these issues.
So, after brainstorming, we have gathered some information regarding these issues and how to fix these issues. The solution we describe is below in this guide. So, make sure to go through them very carefully and follow the procedures step-by-step.
How to Fix League of Legends FPS Drops, Lag, Shuttering, and Freezing
If you are here for a fix to these problems, then most probably you are in the right heaven as here we explain all the information needed to fix them out. So, if you encountered such kinds of issues, don’t worry! Just follow the guide till the end. But, before we hover over to the steps, you may first check the system requirements to run the League of Legends on your PC.
Minimum System Requirements:
- CPU: 3 GHz processor with support of SSE2 or higher
- RAM: 2 GB
- Operating System: Windows 7, 8, or 10
- P-SHADER: 2.0
- V-SHADER: 2.0
- DISK SPACE: At least 8 GB
Recommended System Requirements:
- CPU: 3 GHz Dual-Core processor
- RAM: 4 GB
- Operating System: Windows 10
- VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce 8800 or AMD Radeon HD 5670 or higher
- P-SHADER: 4.0
- V-SHADER: 4.0
- DISK SPACE: 12 GB is Sufficient
- DEDICATED VRAM: 512 MB
Now, let’s head back to the fixing procedure and see if these fixes help you so that you can again enjoy your favorite game without encountering any error.
Fix 1: Turn Off The Windows Game Bar or Game DVR
In most cases, it is observed that game bar or game DVR is the main culprit for getting lower FPS than usual, game lag issue, stuttering issue, and freezing issue on League of Legends. So, in that case, you need to disable the game bar or game DVR mode. Meanwhile, follow the steps mentioned below to turn it off.
- You have to press and hold the Windows key and the Q key simultaneously to launch the Cortana search bar. Or you can simply click on the Windows search bar.
- After that, inside the search bar, type in-game and hit the enter key.
- Then, you need to select the Control How Game Bar Opens and Recognizes Your Game option. Now, a window will open with the option to turn it off.
- Now, you can hit the button to turn it off. Also, you can turn off the Record Game Clip, Screenshots, and Broadcast.
- After that, go to the Game DVR tab, locate the option Record in The Background, and hit the off button located next to this option.
- Once you’ve done this, simply reboot your system and launch the game to check if the game is now run without any prior issue or not.
Fix 2: Disable The Game Mode
If the above method doesn’t work in your case, we recommend you disable your in-built Windows 10 game mode. If you think about why and how disabling the game mode could help you fix the issue. Sometimes, your game mode disables many necessary processes in the background that may affect your gaming, so if you encounter such issues, it is the best option to disable the game mode for a temporary period. So, follow the steps we mentioned below to disable your game mode:
- Press the windows, and I button using your keyboard to open the Windows settings window.
- Then, shift to the Gaming tab and locate the Game Mode button. Once you get it, toggle the button to turn it off.
- Now, simply reboot your system to ensure that your PC gets a fresh start with the new settings. Then, launch the League of Legends game and check if the issue lets disappear.
Fix 3: Check if There is Any Pending GPU Driver Update
Updating the graphics card driver is the initial step that you need to take. However, updating your card driver isn’t a challenging task to do. You need to follow some easy and straightforward steps to do so.
- First of all, press and hold the Windows + R key using your keyboard. This will one the Run prompt command box.
- Then, you need to type in dxdiag inside the text field and press the enter key.
- A new window will appear with a lot of options, so you need to shift to the Systems Tab and click on the Display Tab and locate your GPU manufacturer name. Then, simply right-click on it and select the update button from the open drop-down context menu.
- There’s another option available using which you can update your GPU driver. So, for this, you need to hover over to your browser and search for your GPU manufacturer’s official website.
- Now, inside your GPU manufacturer website, search for your GPU drivers by entering the details about them. Then, download and install them manually.
Fix 4: Alter Some Changes To Your Graphics Card Settings
- Hold and press the Windows + R key using your keyboard to open the run dialog box. Then, type in Control inside the text field and hit the OK button to open the Control panel.
- After that, locate the AMD Radeon Settings inside the control panel and click on it to open.
- Now, hover over to the Gaming section, click on the Global Settings, and then change the settings according to your needs.
- First of all, you require to open the Control Panel and hover over towards the Intel Graphics Settings.
- Then, choose the 3D option. Now, the 3D settings of your PC will open up.
- After that, select the Scan button to add League of Legends to the application list.
- Then, change the settings according to your needs and hit the Apply button.
- The initial step is the same as the above-mentioned for AMD and Intel. So, open the Control Panel and locate the Nvidia Control Panel and click on it to open.
- After that, hit the 3D Settings option and then select the Adjust Image Settings With Preview.
- Now, simply select the option Use My Preference Emphasizing and drag the slider from the left to right direction.
Now, once you have done these settings, simply reboot your PC and rerun the League of Legends to check if you are still suffering from the mentioned issues.
Fix 5: Run the Game With Admin Rights
This is probably the most effective solution that you must try. Giving the admin rights to the game will allow it to use the resources that it needs to run properly and give you a smooth gaming experience. Follow the steps given below to do so:
- Two methods are there to run your game with admin rights using which you can run your game with admin right. You can directly right-click on the .exe file of your game, and from the drop-down menu, select the Run as Administrator.
- Now, if you want always to run the game with admin rights, then right-click on the .exe file and select the properties option.
- Then, shift to the compatibility tab and checkmark the box next to the Run as administrator option.
- After that, hit the Apply button to save the changes you’ve made.
That’s it. From now whenever you run the game, it will run as an administrator. Now, most probably, your issue gets resolved. Meanwhile, if you still find no luck, don’t get bothered as we have more solutions for you. So, let’s head towards the next fix.
Fix 6: Enable Low Spec Mode
This step will lower down the graphics quality but able to run the game without any disturbance. So, you can try this out, as this fix has proven to fix the freezing and FPS drop issues. Follow the guidelines given below to enable the low spec mode while playing the League of Legends:
- The initial step is to run the League of Legends on your Windows system. Then, use your account credential to log in to the LOL world (if you are not logged in).
- Now, locate the icon that generally looks similar to gear and click on it. Then, your game setting window will open.
- In-game settings window, you need to tick the box next to Enable Low Spec Mode. Once you did this, click on the Done button.
Fix 7: Perform A Full Repair
This is another method to fix the various issue causing your game not to perform well even your PC is new. So, in case if you don’t know how to perform a full repair, follow the steps to do so:
- The first step is to run the game on your Windows PC. Then, click on the gear icon to open the game settings.
- Now, select the Initiate Full Repair option. Then, if prompted, click on the Yes button to start the repairing process.
- Then, simply wait until the repair process is finished. After that, reboot your PC and run the game to check if the issues get resolved or not.
Fix 8: Adjust the Power Option of Your PC and Windows System for the Best Performance
Sometimes changing your device’s power plan helps to fix the FPS drop issue and bring out your PC’s best performance. So, let’s hover over to the steps:
- Open the Run search dialog box and copy & paste powercfg.cpl. Then, hit the enter button using your keyboard to open the power plan window.
- After that, you need to click on the Hide Additional Plans to expand this tab and select the High-Performance option.
- Now, hover over to the search box and search for Advanced, located somewhere in the top right corner of the screen. Then, select the View Advanced System Settings option.
- Next, a window will appear. You require to select the Settings found under the Performance section.
- That’s it. Now, select the option Adjust For Best Performance and click on the OK button to save the settings.
Fix 9: Set an FPS Cap To Fix FPS Drop Issue
Follow the procedure given below to set an FPS cap to prevents the FPS drop issue while playing the League of Legends:
- Run the game and hover over to the Custom Game. Now, select the Options menu.
- Then, under the Video tab, locate the Frame Rate Cap Box. Once get, click on it and set it to 60 FPS or whatever you want. Then, save the changes.
- After that, open the Game tab and click on the Movement Protection under the gameplay section. Now, you have to uncheck the box next to the Movement Protection.
- That’s it. Now, click on the OK button and reboot your Windows system.
Fix 10: Enable V-Sync
Enabling V-sync might be a good option for you as it helps you to fix the lagging and crashing issues. In some scenarios, it is also seen that it help to fix the FPS drop issue too. So, we suggest you try the below-mentioned steps once to check if this fix makes any changes to your game so that it can run smoothly.
- At first, open the Nvidia Control Panel and select the Force On tab located somewhere on the Vertical Sync section.
- Now, if you are an AMD GPU user, then on your desktop, right-click on the free space. Then, select the AMD Radeon Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Then, click on the Global Settings found somewhere in the Radeon Settings window.
- That’s it. Now, simply tap in the Wait For Vertical Refresh option and next click on the Enhance Sync option.
- Once done, reboot your PC and run the game to check if it helps.
Fix 11: Change Game Config File
If nothing helps you fix the issues mentioned above, we recommend you change your game files configuration. So, let’s head towards the steps and see how you can perform this fix on your PC:
- Initially, you must have to open the Task Manager and then remove or close all the processes that are linked with the League of Legends.
- Then, using your web browser, download and save the Zip file of the LOL from its official website as we, in any case, Clancarousel, do not recommend you any third-party sites.
- Now, open the LOL installation folder and select the Config folder. It might be possible that there is already a file present named game.cfg. So, you can copy it and save it in another folder as a backup plan.
- Then, the Config file that you have downloaded paste here in the LOL installation folder. Also, if it pop-up a security concern message, click on the Yes button.
That’s it. You will now be able to play your favorite game, League of Legends, without any issue. However, if you still fail to fix the crashing, FPS drop, stuttering, and freezing issues, we recommend contacting the support team and asking them for further guidance to fix these creepy issues.
So, that is all about how to fix crashing, FPS drop, stuttering, and freezing issues on LOL. We hope you are now able to play your game without encountering any of the issues mentioned above. If you have any doubts concerning the same, don’t hesitate to contact us in the comment section. Also, if you are new here, visit here regularly for daily gaming and tech world updates.