Civilization VI is one of the best turn-based strategy video games out there in the market. It is the latest entry in the Civilization video games series. In this game, players have only one goal: developing a Civilization from an early establishment. Then, of course, you’ll get many in-game millennia that helps you to become the most powerful and accomplish victory in different condition. Unfortunately, many new and old buddies who play Civilization VI on Steam started getting several errors like crashing, freezing, or even some of them complaining that Civilization VI won’t start on Steam.
Nevertheless, there might be various reasons behind this error. It may be due to a faulty graphics card driver. Nowadays, this error really bothers users, and they easily get frustrated. This is considerable why they are so furious due to this error as they are unable to play their favorite game to make their empire more powerful.
How to Fix Civilization VI Won’t Start on Steam.
The fixes we will mention here are proven to resolve this kind of issue and already helped many users fix this issue. So, a great chance is there that your issue is also get fixed. Therefore, without hindering here more, let’s get started.
Fix 1: Update Your Graphics Card Driver
This is the most important thing that we generally ignore as we superfetate that updating the graphics driver has nothing to do with our gaming performance. But, this doesn’t seem right; an updated graphics driver is essential, especially when you’re a gamer.
It enhances the performance of your GPU according to the game. So, please try updating your GPU driver and then check if this could happen anymore or not. Meanwhile, if you don’t know how to do this, follow the steps we mentioned below:
- Open the device manager, and inside the display, the adapter right-clicks on your GPU name.
- Then, choose the update option from the drop-down menu and then just relax because it will take time to search for updates online depending upon your internet speed. Moreover, if it gets any update, it will notify your to update it.
- There is also an extra method that you can use to update your GPU driver, i.e., update your GPU driver through your GPU manufacturer’s official website.
- Once you have finished updating your GPU driver, don’t forget to reboot your PC. Then, simply run the Civilization VI and check if the won’t start on Steam get resolved.
Fix 2: Configure The Launch Option
Now, this is also the best option to fix your Civilization VI won’t start on Steam. So, to configure the launch option according to your PC, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Steam client application on your Windows PC and hover over to the Library tab.
- After that, choose all games options from the drop-down menu on the Library tab.
- Then, from the list, select Civilization VI and right-click on it. After that, simply click on the Properties option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, inside the properties option, select the Set Launch Options located on the general tab.
- Then, in the text field, you need to use this launch configuration:
<full Civilization VI game path> %command%
- Now, once you did this, hit the Ok button in order to save your settings.
Now, keep in mind that you have to replace the game mentioned above path with the original path of your Steam game. So it will look like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier’s Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%
Fix 3: Run As Administration
Most of us usually ignore this, but this has the potential to fix any type of issue. For example, sometimes, your PC doesn’t give your game the proper permission to use the resources. In that case, running the game with admin rights will help the game to allow using the appropriate resources that the game needs to perform its best. Here are the steps to do so:
- First of all, open your steam app and head towards the library tab. Then, right-click on Civilization VI and select the properties option.
- After that, hover over to the Local files tab and click on the Browse Local Files option.
- Now, locate the .exe file of Civilization VI and select the properties.
- Then, shift to the compatibility tab and checkmark the box located next to the Run this program as administrator.
- After that, hit the Apply button to save the settings that you’ve changed.
- Now, finally, rerun your Steam client application and run the game. Now it will open with admin rights.
That’s it. Now, most probably, your Civilization VI runs properly without any error. Meanwhile, if running the game as an administrator doesn’t give you any luck, and the game still won’t start on Steam. But, then, don’t get a hamper as we have more solutions to this error.
Fix 4: Verify Game File
This is another effective solution or remedy that verifies and fixes if there is an issue with your game files. It scans your game files and looks if there is any corrupted or damaged file present due to which this kind of issue occurred. So, to verify your game files, you need to follow the same procedure as we describe below:
- Open your Steam client app and locate the Civilization application under the Library tab.
- Once get it, right-click on it and choose the Local files option.
- Now, under the local files tab, you will get many setting options. So, you need to select the Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- After that, just sit back and relax because this process takes a bit of time to finish.
Fix 5: Close Background Task
You need to make sure that while you are playing Civilization VI, there is no application opened in the background as it may conflict with your game. However, ending your background processes isn’t a tough task to do. You can simply Ctrl + Alt+ Del simultaneously and click on the task manager.
Then, simply select the applications in the processes tab that you think are conflicting with your game and consume a lot of hardware resources. After that, hit the End Task button located at the lower right corner of the task manager window.
Fix 6: Use Different DirectX Version
Suppose you are running the game on DirectX 12 version previously, then we suggest you try to run the game using DirectX 11 version once to check whether the DirectX version is the main culprit for this error or not. For example, you can go to the installed file location of Civilization, and instead of running the CivilizationVI_DX12.exe, double-click on the CivilizationVI.exe. This will run the game using the DirectX 12 version.
Also Read: Is Clash of Clans Being Removed From iPhone And Android?
Fix 7: Reinstall the Game
Suppose, in the worst case, if you are still getting this error and unable to play your favorite game, then most probably your installation files get damaged or mission. In that case, you require to reinstall the game again on your PC. But, remember one thing, try this fix only if you have no other choice. So, now to uninstall and reinstall the game on your device, follow the steps given below:
- Initially, you need to locate the game inside your Steam client application.
- Then, right-click on Civilization VI and select the Manage option from the opened context menu. And click on the Uninstall option.
- Now, if prompted, then hit the confirmation button. Once your game is uninstalled completely, reboot your PC.
- After that, open the Steam app, and under the library section, search for Civilization VI and hit the Install option.
So, that is it. Now, you know what to do when your Civilization VI doesn’t start on Steam. Then, what are you waiting for? Go and start building your empire again. Meanwhile, if the issue is still there, we suggest you contact the support team and ask them to help you get out of this situation. Further, if you have any doubt regarding the same, please ask us in the comment section. Also, don’t forget to read our other latest guides.